I made Christina’s son, Brice, a pair of Huck Finn pants just like Colin’s. Well almost. I made a few tweaks since Brice is a little bit smaller then Colin. I used the same 12 month pattern pieces. I just used a French seam on the outside seam of each pant leg. And I used Colin’s waist measurement for the elastic length, no additional inches added or the button that the pattern calls for. I also increased the hem on each pant cuff.
The pants look like shorts in the photo due to how they were hung on the hanger but I assure you they are longer then they appear. Brice was kind enough to try them on for me yesterday and I think they fit really well. But I a wasn’t smart enough to take a picture. Oh well.
I also made a coordinating t-shirt for Brice with appliquéd number 1 for his first birthday. I used steam-a-seam to adhere it and then I used the zig-zag stitch and stitched all the way around it. This appliqué should hold up to many washes.
And of course I had to add a tag so Christina could tell which side was the back and I thought it was only appropriate to use some monkey ribbon I have. She calls Brice her little monkey :)
Now I just need to make Colin a matching t-shirt and we can take there photos together. I am sure they will think we are dorks when they look back at the photos someday.
Fabric-is from Heather Ross’ line Lightening bugs and Other Mysteries I think it is just called orange stripe.
As a side note I would just like to say I still had difficulties with the topstitching of the pant leg seams. Most of them silly but irritating, like running out of bobbin thread and not realizing it until I thought I was finished with the seam. I was really nervous about making these for Brice. I look up to and admire Christina’s beautiful craftsmanship. I didn’t want them to look anything less then amazing. Hahaha, so not realistic :o)